It’s hard to believe that yet another year has gone by. Council has been busy:
- 7 months to do another budget,
- the transportation committee reviewing the transportation bylaws including the need to replace streetlights (the streetlights will be replaced in 2016),
- the new regional landfill is significantly closer to be being built,
- Loraas now collects garbage, recycling, and green material,
- the current landfill has been cleaned up significantly and is now using the scale and working towards cost recovery,
- the WCEC has had some significant upgrades in a number of areas,
- we are still working on making the pool viable, currently we are working towards 2019
- Council is also doing its due diligence to see if it may be cost effective to rehabilitate the current facility; Council wants to make an evidence based decision rather than a decision based on speculation.
I would like to thank the good people at the Food Bank for going above and beyond this year. The amount of food being served this year has increased significantly. So far this year about 800 individuals have been served and the food bank has spent $30,000 purchasing food plus they also receive donated food. When you walk past one of the collection sites, such as Co-Op and Extra Foods or if you are paying that dreaded water bill at the Town Office, please drop in some much needed food.
Christmas is here and for some people they will be working hard to make it look like they are having a good Christmas. A number of people of lost their jobs because of the price of oil and are struggling. Please contact the Canadian Mental Health Association to donate to the Christmas Hamper program. Also, please be considerate of your neighbour who may be struggling and too proud to ask for help. Invite them over for a meal, deliver a meal, and be a friend.
Merry Christmas and have a safe holiday season.
Please write or phone if you would like me to discuss a particular topic. If you have any questions or comments, drop me a line at the town office or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check out my blog at johnenns-wind.ca . I appreciate your feedback.