Over the course of the election the Liberal Party made a number of commitments to municipalities. It is safe to say that all municipal leaders look forward to working with the new Prime Minister to implement his commitments. Mr. Trudeau’s commitments over ten years include:
- Sustained and predictable investments in core municipal infrastructure, like roads and bridges, that meets the needs of communities of all sizes.
- New historic investment in public transit across the country, including both new capital construction and state of good repair.
- Renewed federal leadership in affordable housing to build more housing units, refurbish existing ones, renew existing co-operative agreements, and operational funding support for municipalities.
- Significant investment in green infrastructure, including local water and wastewater, clean energy, and climate resilient infrastructure including flood mitigation systems.
- Automatic transfers of any uncommitted federal infrastructure funds near the end of any fiscal year to municipalities, through a temporary top-up of the Gas Tax Fund.
- Increased partnership with regular meetings between the new Prime Minister and FCM.
When I have some time I’ll post the relevant commitments to municipalities the Liberals made to municipalities.