Here is an update on some of the findings of the pool survey and the current status of the project.
- 708 people completed the survey including almost 550 residents of Kindersley.
- 83% of respondents support moving forward to build an indoor aquatic centre.
- 47% of respondents are willing to pay up to $200 per year per property for the pool with 49% in favour of paying a flat rate base tax (34% were against a flat rate base tax.)
- Based on 1,947 properties that pay tax, the total revenue would be $389,400 (*This may cover operating expenses)
- 46% of respondents are against a mill rate increase to pay for the pool.
- 47% of respondents said they would pay $600,000 for a water slide and whirlpool.
- Only 30% said they would pay an extra $1.6 million to have a 6-lane pool rather than a 4 lane pool.
As it stands, the total cost of a 6-lane pool would be closer to $2 million, plus about $8 million in operating expenses over the life of the pool. With a 4-lane pool, Kindersley is still able to host regional events, but having a 6-lane pool would mean we could host two (occasionally three) additional Swim Sask meets per year. The question is whether the return on our investment in having 6 lanes is worth three meets per year with perhaps 100 or so participants? We are awaiting more data that will help determine the economic impact these meets could bring to Kindersley.
Here are some pool concepts we are looking at:
- A 6 lane pool with a 1m diving board, zero entry tank and large leisure pool, a Tarzan rope with space for a future waterslide. Not included are a lazy river and whirlpool.
- A 4 lane pool with a 1m diving board, zero entry tank, large leisure pool, a Tarzan rope, and space for a future waterslide. Not included are a lazy river and whirlpool.
- A 4 lane pool with zero entry and a small leisure pool, lazy river, 1m diving board, a Tarzan rope, and space for a future waterslide. Not included is a whirlpool.
Please write or phone if you would like me to discuss a particular topic. If you have any questions or comments, drop me a line at the town office or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check out my blog at http://mayorjohn.blogspot.ca/. I appreciate your feedback.